RCI Cruiser is a terrible deal

Jul 27, 2011

RCI Cruiser is a terrible deal.They suck you in with promises of excellent cruise value with free upgrades, plus an added free resort stay.

You can easily get a better cruise deal from a regular travel agent, never mind what can be found on the Internet. If you can go last minute you can get something for a quarter the price. They don't tell you you may have to pay hundreds in port fees that are included in other cruise packages. The resort inventory is absolutely horrible.

You're led to believe you are choosing from the regular RCI inventory, but in fact there is practically no inventory to choose from at all. You can do way better by choosing from RCI last minute or extra vacations, or just getting an Internet deal.

Don't buy this package!It's a ripoff!

625734d
Review #251682
2.1
I had the same issue 2
Had an experience with RCI Cruiser?  Submit review ›
Is this your company? Learn about our business solutions
CAPTCHA
Frontier Mama

Mar 01

All the things described by others was true. Lies about the value; no true cancellation unless it was within a week of receipt. A gift package promised had gift certificates that were no deal at all. Resort availability is next to none. Extra fees charged to book cruise were not announced until booking time and were considerable - like an extra 33% over what had already been charged. Customer service was horrible, insulting, and mean. The fellow trying to sell cruise insurance called back at least 3 times and tried to persuade us to buy reminding us that the Titanic wasn't supposed to sink, but did?!?!? What a pitch - but it was just a shadow of all the unprofessional activities underway. DO NOT BUY.

taken

Feb 25 Raymond, Washington

Cruise to London--fine. Six night hotel room when we get there---sorry,nothing available. Promise that they can get us home cheaper on a cruise than we can fly---sorry,no return cruises available. Tried to use our "SIX FREE NIGHTS " in combination with with weeks we have at our base condo in Mexico---yes but it will cost us $ 575.00 extra or they can put us in a condo 15 miles out of town !!! Called RCI EIGHT times and got cut off SEVEN of those times!!! Angry,upset,disappointed and fed up with these people---YOU BET. When our contract with RCI runs out in two years we are through with RCI forever. Thank you very much NOT!!! Member number 5121-04173

Susie

Jan 29 Bognor Regis, England

Totally agree this is a rip off. Booked a resort stay but before we travelled found out it was not the same hotel as was agreed, 4 star not 5 star, so cancelled it. Now having difficulty in booking anything as nothing seems to be available from the limited resorts they give you. The cruise is also a rip off as there are lots of hidden extras, port fees etc., unless you can cruise from your local port. No flight prices included so you have to factor that in to your cost. Will never ever do the same package again. My husband and I are constantly arguing about it so am stressed. Wish I had never agreed to this deal.

JaneGerth

Nov 09, 2013

I too fell for the terrible deal, except I bought (2) $6,400.00 down the drain. Don't do it!!!!!

polar bear

Nov 04, 2013

Wow! I am so surprised with the neg comments! I purchased the package two years ago and it was a good deal! we did a med cruise which is worth $4000. then a week in Florida was really nice with a full suite and kitchen. this was followed by a second cruise in the eastern Caribbean. I have travelled lots and I have had a half a dozen cruises. this deal can be a good one if you take specific cruises that aren't cheap and stay in expensive resorts, its then that you get the value.. I just bought two more packages. after our cruise on the Allure for two couples, one with a balcony over the ocean the other a inside room we will still have three cruises and two weeks to stay at a resort. where can you get 5 cruises and two weeks at a resort for 6k..let me know because I will buy it in a heart beat!! My past experience has been a good one!!

Carol

Jan 08

I have one you can purchase. rickercb@verizon.net

Hank

Oct 09, 2013 Dallas, Texas

I agree. Package is very over priced compared to what you can purchase online or through travel agent. RCI Cruiser is a ripoff.

Dave

Sep 21, 2013 Kennewick, Washington

I have purchased this package and am totally dissatisfied. The additional charges for the cruise were considerable and never mentioned in the sales pitch. When trying to find a resort (very few to choose from) I was told I could only get a hotel unit or studio with accomodations for 2. When trying to book something, I was told that 2 meant a couple and not 2 individuals. If I needed something larger there was an upgrade fee from $237.00 to approximately $750.00. None of this was stated in the sales pitch. I feel I was lied to and that the whole transaction was fraudulent. I am reporting this to the Better Business Bureau and the Federal Consumer Protection Agency.

Gmal

Sep 12, 2013 Jemez Springs, New Mexico

How can some cruisers get a free upgrade when I had to pay over four thousand dollars for an upgrade to a balcony on a 15 day cruise?

Gmal

Sep 12, 2013 Jemez Springs, New Mexico

This is the most frustrating thing I have ever done. Customer service is terrible. They are rude. I have tried over two dozen times to reach "my" travel agent, Patty, different days and times in the last four months and she is never available. I cannot access MY Payment Manager to make extra payment or look at my account. I was told it was my fault and that it was my server. I don't have a problem with anything else I pay on-line, which is all my bills.
Now I am concerned about the port fees that are not included. Is this true?
I haven't taken the cruise or redeemed the resort vacation yet, but I booked the cruise for next spring and hope that all works out.
I now regret getting involved in this!

Disappointed

Aug 31, 2013 Boston, Massachusetts

In the main, RSCI Cruiser, combining a land resort vacation and a cruise, is a rip-off with poor-to-no staff service as one tries to get anything arranged. Negotiated price means nothing to R.C.I. Cruiser. Three telephone calls and an e-mail directly to the rep selling me the package has not yet produced a result since July; no returned call or e-mail. It's now September. Rep continually dodges my inquiries as I learn that straight Cruise Line offers are far better than RCI Cruiser shell games and I'd like to level the playing field. No one is named here; this is not a personal attack. This is commentary/complaint on poor over-priced program, no service whatsoever and rigged pricing. I am R.C.I. Member 4035-00062

MadinMaryland

Aug 31, 2013

I wish I would have read this it a total RIP OFF.

One Made Grandma

Apr 08, 2013 Kansas City, Missouri

They tell you all about the convenience and the flexibility...HA! They sell you insurance for just in case you should need to cancel and re-schedule. They let you cancel but there is no reimbursement, no exchanging for another time or another certificate. What was the insurance for???????? When I asked to speak with a manager or a supervisor I was informed that they were busy with clients. "What am I?" Customer service stinks. This is an awful deal!

Scooter

Mar 25, 2013

I have purchased 4 packages with RCI Cruiser. If you like to spend the time you can get a good deal. I'm going on a 10 day Mediterranean cruise this April. I started with a Aft facing Mini Suite and was able to upgrade to the Penthouse suite for $69. (granted I did search a lot for this) If I was to book this cruise through NCL I would pay $4275 and this is a sale price for the penthouse suite. My total cost for the Premium package including port, government and upgrade fees came to $3850. I also had a free week in a 1 bedroom Resort in FL and I booked a All Inclusive hotel room in the Dominican for March 1st of 2014. It was a GREAT deal for me. :grin

Audrey

Nov 08, 2012

I totally agree that this is a terrible deal on the 2 for 1 cruise/land. I have been searching for a land trip for weeks on end and can't find anything of interest. They list that the all inclusive is $69 but when you actually look at it, it's $69/child and $120/adult per day. Resorts are just so so. Could have done better with either last minute vacations or Apple vacations. Won't make this mistake again.

Sherry  in Ontario

Oct 30, 2012

This whole package is a waste of time and money. What they tell you, you are getting and what you get is a whole different thing.
Cruises are very limited unless you want to pay a lot of extra money. Resorts are at best
3 star and mostly hotel rooms. It took me over a year to find a place and then it was a place I didn't really want but was not going to lose the weeks resort. There really is nothing available in the resort areas that people really want to travel to. They are
pushing places that on the RCI reviews complain about roaches and ants. Who wants to stay in that environment. I would not advise anyone to buy this deal as it is a terrible deal and certainly not what I expected from RCI

CAMS NANNY

Oct 23, 2012

We are seniors on a fixed income and new to RCI. We inherited it my moms timeshare and green as heck. Received phone call sale. Package is NOT what was told on phone. If one of us die; can't transfer another person on Carnival. I specifically asked if that would be a problem and was lied to by telling me it would NOT be a problem. Told $1,800 was only cost, great resorts to go to and totally false. Choices are terrible! Complete rip-off and stuck with stress and physically ill from it.

Dave from WI

Oct 11, 2012

Our home resort is beautiful. We have exchanged it for many others and have never been disappointed. Don't much care for the exchange fee though. Way too high.

Carole

Oct 09, 2012

Booked the 2 for 1 cruise package, my husband became seriously ill and spend 5 days in Rome hospital. I phoned asking for a refund - no, no refund just extension of offer. Then he became even more seriously ill earlier this year and unable to fly. - still no refund and time is lapsing.

Very pleased with service

Oct 07, 2012

We actually purchased 7 packages and there will be 14 people traveling. Our first cruise is in Nov. We had no problems booking the cruise that we wanted and the agents were very helpful. We knew about the port fees and that airline tickets would be expensive. If you have done any travel you would know those costs are always there. We are going to end up with 2 cruises and a land resort stay out of the package so the costs of those 3 will be considerably less than what we could purchse from a travel agent. We have stayed in many RCI resorts and they have all been very clean. We love staying in the resorts, excellent accomodations and service.

Showing 1-20 of 61 comments

×
You were reading a complaint about RCI Cruiser.
Filing a new complaint about
×